Throughout Hinsdale’s history, residents have willingly given of themselves to fill community needs. Newcomers to the fledgling town built their own sidewalks, opened their own library and maintained the fire department. 

In 1900, the same spirit built the Immanuel Evangelical Church, now known as Immanuel Hall located on the corner of Third and Grant Streets. German immigrants once occupied much of west Hinsdale. These talented craftsmen built most of the Village’s houses and businesses. Recognizing a need in their own neighborhood, they built a simple, carpenter Gothic-style frame church for $3,000, volunteering the necessary labor and expertise. The church was constructed in eight weeks. The building beautifully complements its setting in an older residential neighborhood. 

 

In 1920 there were major changes made to the structure, including the digging of the basement and exterior renovations. In 1923, a six-rank pipe organ (402 pipes) from M. P. Moeller & Sons, of Hagerstown, Maryland, was purchased and installed. The following year, 10 stained glass windows from Flanagan & Biedenweg Company of Chicago, replaced what were believed to have been two-over-two sash windows.

 

The building was deactivated as a church in 1964, after which it was used as the state headquarters for the United Church of Christ and then as a Montessori school. The sale of the site in 1998 made it likely that the former church would be demolished, with Hinsdale losing yet another irreplaceable piece of its history and tradition.