IMMANUEL HALL TIMELINE
1900 – German immigrant tradesmen, many of them members of the new Immanuel Evangelical congregation, volunteer their labor to construct a simple, one-story, frame “carpenter-Gothic” style church, at 302 S. Grant St., from materials that cost approximately $3,000. The building was constructed in eight weeks.
When construction is complete, the congregation, then numbering some 30 families, begins using the building for religious services (conducted in the German language) and social activities.
1920 – A full basement is dug beneath the building, which is raised approximately four feet to a new grade. The basement accommodates the congregation’s increased numbers and activities.
A small, two-story, frame American four-square style house is constructed immediately west of the church and is used as a parsonage.
1923 – A six-rank pipe organ (402) is purchased from M. P. Moller Pipe Organ Company, Hagerstown, Maryland, and installed.
1924 – Ten stained glass windows are purchased from Flanagan & Biedenweg Studios, Chicago, and installed.
1930s – The congregation joins a new denomination and becomes the Immanuel Evangelical and Reformed Church. Services in the German language are discontinued.
1950s – A one-story brick building with full basement is constructed immediately south of the church, and is used for religious and social purposes of the still-growing congregation.
1964 – The congregation, numbering some 160 families, relocates to what is now Burr Ridge United Church of Christ, at County Line and Plainfield Roads, Burr Ridge. Their former church buildings are used as a regional office by the United Church of Christ.
1982 – The church buildings are sold to a private party, who operates a Montessori school for 18 years.
1999 – The Montessori school owners sell the property to another private party, who plans to demolish the church buildings. Hearing about the sale from neighbors, the Society works successfully with Village and State officials and residents to save the church building from demolition. The parsonage and the brick building are demolished as part of the purchase agreement.
2001 to 2006 – The Society takes ownership of the property, and renames the building Immanuel Hall. A variety of events and activities are hosted at the Hall to test its use by the community. The Society retains a preservation architect to develop plans to rehabilitate the Hall. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is designated a local landmark, and receives numerous preservation awards and citations.
2005 – The Society embarks on a major fund raising campaign for the rehabilitation of the Hall, and in nine months attains its fund raising goal, with contributions coming entirely from private sources.
The largest contribution, $500,000, comes from the family of Roger and Ruth Anderson and helps establish the Roger and Ruth Anderson Architecture Center, a long-planned preservation and construction resource service of the Society, which will be located in the lower level of the Hall.
2006 – Applications for the rehabilitation of the Hall are approved by the Village of Hinsdale, and a construction manager is retained.
2007 – Ground is broken on May 11 for the 17x21-foot rear addition that is the most obvious exterior feature of the rehabilitation project.
2008 – The extensive rehabilitation project, which completely remodeled the lower level for the Anderson Architecture Center and refurbished the original features of the upper level and the exterior of the building, draws to a close.
2009- Doors open to the public, and the Hinsdale Historical Society shares with the community a great local treasure!